If we are going to really understand news information presented to us we are going to need some kind of analytical methodology to deconstruct any news portal. Follow these steps.
PART ONE : THE CONTAINER
1. When you 1st open a news web page look at the general layout, the menu bar, and notice what your eye is attracted to.
2. Is the page cluttered or clean? Does it seem user friendly?
3. Is Flash employed anywhere?
4. Is color and shape playing a role in directing your eye?
5. Is there any obvious way in which the ‘form’ of the page is enabling function
Most web news pages are set out similar to newspapers in columns.
PART TWO : THE CONTENT
6. What image or advertisement grabs your eye first ?
7. Are stories close to ads on the same topic?
8. Are rhetorical statements used to get your attention?
9. What general use information is displayed ie weather, stock market ect
10. What kind of images have been selected to accompany stories
11. How are breaking news stories displayed?
12. When you hit refresh what sections are immediately reloaded?
Always remember : THE NEWS CYCLE HAPPENS IN 4 PHASES
1. AN EVENT IS SELECTED
2. THE EVENT BECOMES NEWS BECAUSE IT IS REPORTED
3. THE NEWS EVENT IS MEDIATED (transmitted broadcast or published)
4. THE NEWS IS CONSUMED
THE SINGLE BIGGEST THING A NEWS PORTAL IS ATTEMPTING TO GET IS YOUR ATTENTION. REMEMBER THE WEB IS A VISUALLY DIRECTED MEDIUM. IF YOU FIND YOURSELF READING TEXT THEN YOUR FOCUS HAS BEEN DIRECTED.